Vision Is The Beginning Of Strategy
Day 3 of the Building Champions Experience saw a shift from a focus on planning your personal life to a focus on business vision and tactical solutions to help attendees grow and lead their business and team. Executive Coach Daniel Harkavy led a panel discussion on vision casting and implementation with the following leaders:
- Brett Barriage, CEO of Premier Equipment Ltd in Canada
- Kenny Bogle, CEO of Pelican Energy Consultants in New Orleans
- Jerry Baker, CEO Coach for Building Champions
Here are my take aways from their panel discussion:
- As business leaders we tend to get stuck in our current reality and we fail to keep our eyes on where we are going in the next 5-7 years, for some businesses even the next 20 years.
- If you have been successful in the past without a strategic business vision it does not mean that you don’t need one.
- Even if you miss your goals/vision look at who you will become if you strive for it.
- Review your vision weekly - Review your vision in every strategic meeting.
- If your vision is not tied to your purpose then it lacks depth.
- Vision is the beginning of strategy. When you see clearly what you want you can then start to develop strategies to get there.
- We value many things - Our convictions though are things we will fight for, fire for, die for.
- We need to always look forward, but we need to be focused on the next 90 days.
- Vision must be brought back to reality. We must have bi-focal vision seeing both the future and our current reality.
- If you are finding that your strategy to achieve your vision is not working then change it. Don’t get stuck with a bad strategy that you just keep trying to make work when it will not. This is the definition of insanity.
- Vision engages the heads and the hearts of everyone on your team and is a wonderful retention tool.
A great business vision includes the following elements:
- Purpose statement
- Core Convictions
- An Envisioned Future
- Key Areas of Development
- Compelling Ambitions
Make it a great day!