The True Meaning of Christmas
So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ. - 2 Corinthians 5:20-21
This time of year, I often find myself praying with my family asking God to help us remember the true meaning of Christmas. It is not that we have forgotten it but I don't ever want us to lose sight, even momentarily, of the reason we celebrate the birth of Jesus.
In the past, I've limited my reading of the Bible, during the holidays, to the Christmas story found in the Gospels. This year though I've challenged myself to look beyond these well known passages and find others that shed more light on the why behind the incarnation.
Corinthians 5:20-21 is one of those passages that helps bring greater clarity not only to why God sent Jesus but how those who follow him are to respond to the incarnation, ministry, death, and resurrection of Jesus. During my quiet time today I took the following notes while reflecting and meditating on this verse:
- I am called to be Christ's ambassador - his official representative with authority and power to bring his message of hope to the world. He gave me this role - what and whom do I have to fear?
- God is speaking through my life - My actions and service to those I love, lead, and serve speaks more than my words. Others see the impact of God more clearly in my actions and life than they do from anything I could possibly say.
- My message must remain simple - Come back to God, not "God is angry at you!", not "You're a loser, because of what you've done!", and definitely not "this is easy, you will be so prosperous if you return to God, life is gonna be great."
- The hope of the incarnation is reconciliation - We are able to return to God through repentance, acceptance of Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and his resurrection. We are made right with God through Christ, not anything we do or say. There is freedom and hope in this truth.
So this is where I find meaning in Christmas. This is where I find purpose in my life. This is why I find myself drawn to serving and helping others. Because, Christ came for all the world so that the world could be made right with God.
This is worth celebrating this Christmas season!
Thank you LORD for your everlasting love and constant pursuit of me. Holy Spirit thank you for showing up through the actions and words of other Christ followers around me. Jesus, help me to fully comprehend your incarnation. Help me to live a life worthy of being your ambassador. Give me the strength and faith share your message of hope with those I love, lead and serve. Amen
- If a stranger were to shadow you for a week would they see you being Christ's ambassador?
- Is there someone you know that needs to hear the words, "Come back to God"?
Make it a great day!