The Lord's Prayer - Give Us Today Our Daily Bread
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. – Matthew 6:9-13 (NIV)
As I studied the Lord's prayer today, I was captivated by how Jesus turns the focus of the prayer from acknowledgement of, reverence for, and submission to the Father to a focus on the believer and God's provision.
I looked at each word and simply wrote down my thoughts.
- Give - God provides for our needs out of love - not demanding anything in return. He gives freely. This allows us to come to our Father - broken, hungry, and desiring to be filled by Him - and say, give!
- Us - This request is not just about me but about all believers. It is a prayer for anyone that is in need of the most basic things in life - a home, food, security. The word us keeps me focused on the needs of everyone that I love, serve, and lead.
- Today - So often I am encouraged to escape the reality of the present - told to find joy in a virtual world. Rather than escaping, I must keep my focus on today and not worry about tomorrow. Worry does nothing for me. God is in control. His providence rules and I must have faith that he will provide all that is needed for today.
- Our - I am called to live life in community with fellow believers. I do not have the option of exclusion or isolation when it comes to the church. Everyone is my brother or sister. I don't get to limit my reach. I don't get to have only a select group of friends. We called to our lives togethers.
- Daily - My focus is on the needs of today. God's provision and will are perfect day by day. He provides what is needed today and will again tomorrow. The days are not random, they are purposeful and I am some called to live on purpose daily.
- Bread - God will provide us with the sustenance we need to live in his will, to live with purpose, to answer our calling in the manner that he sees fit. He will meet our basic needs, indwell us with His Spirit, and provide us with salvation - peace - and redemption through the Bread of Life, his Son, Jesus Christ.
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Amen.
- What needs do you need to bring before God?
- How has the LORD, met your needs in life and leadership?
- Are you creating a culture where those you love, lead, and serve can ask freely of you to meet their needs?
Make it a great day!