Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. – Matthew 6:9-13 (NIV)
With a proper understanding of God as my father, and a desire to see my life bring honor to his name, I am able to surrender everything to the LORD and submit to him. Everything I am or desire to be I put at his feet. I acknowledge that it is God who should be ruling in my life - it is His kingdom that I desire to see present in and around me.
When I say the words, "your kingdom come", it is a statement of submission. It is an acknowledgement that God's kingdom is preferred and the only answer to a fallen world, with fallen rulers, fallen cultures, and fallen governments. It is a realization that nothing in this world can possibly bring me peace and love except the kingdom of God ruling in my heart.
God's kingdom emphasizes:
- Love instead of hatred or apathy
- Trust instead anxiety and fear
- Forgiveness instead of guilt and shame
- Service to others instead of being self-serving
- Obedience out of love rather than obedience out of fear
- Turning the other cheek instead of revenge and violence
- Faith rather than the need to control everything
- Hope rather than desperation
- Belonging and being known instead of isolation and wearing a mask
What a stark contrast to the teachings and actual behaviors of this world! What a stark contrast to how I live my own life at times!
This is why my prayer must begin with a submission to God, begging him and pleading with him for his kingdom to be present in my heart, in my leadership, in my community, and in my family.
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
- Does God rule every area of your life and leadership?
- How would your day be different if you humbly submitted your fears, challenges, opportunities, and desires to the LORD each day?
- What would living out God's kingdom at home, in your organization, and in your neighborhood look like for you?
Make it a great day!