So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. - Genesis 1:27.
I've been meditating today on what it means to be made in the image of God and how unique this is in all creation. I am thankful for this gift and often forget the blessings this truth brings with it. Because I am made in the image of God...
- I am able to have communion with Him through the death and resurrection of Jesus.
- I have the opportunity to learn about my Creator - to increase my knowledge and understanding of His ways.
- I can create religious practices that honor Him and allow me to worship Him.
- I am called to be a faithful steward over all creation - every other beast, bird, things that crawl and slither. I am a caretaker.
- I am able to live life in the Spirit and bless those I love and serve with fruit of the spirit.
- I am able to fellowship with others and love others.
- I am able to make choices based on reason and rationale - I am able to obey and experience the joy this brings.
- I am able to have purpose and meaning in my life.
I know there are many other wonderful blessings and benefits to being made in the image of God, but today this list brought me joy as I reflected and meditated on this beautiful truth.
Elohim, thank you for creating me in your image - thank you for this amazing blessing and gift. Holy Spirit help me to understand how this truth impacts my life each day - how it can equip me to be a disciple for you. Jesus, give me the courage to reach out to others and share this Good News - help me reflect your image in the words I speak and the actions I take each day. Help me not to waste my life worshiping the created rather than the Creator. Help me to be a good steward of your creation, Amen.
Questions to Consider:
- Knowing that all humans are created in the image of God, do you need to examine your response to certain people or groups of people?
- How is the culture you are creating at home and at work reflect the image of God in words and deeds?
- Is there an area of your life that reflects poorly the image of God? An area of your life that needs to be examined and healed?
Make it a great day!